Saturday, December 27, 2008

Butter meltaways with Cream Cheese Frosting

I hope that everyone has had a Merry Christmas, and is ready for the New Year. I know that I am. These cookies are the easiest cookies that you will ever make. These are my sister in laws favorite and she asks for these every Christmas. I first made them for Abby's tea party one year and have made them ever since. Just 4 ingredients for the cookie base, things that the bakers should already have as a staple and a quick 10 minutes in the oven and you have it. These cookies are tender and crumbly like a shortbread cookie. I have rolled these into thumbprint cookies as above, and I have rolled them out and cut them into shapes. This dough is that easy to deal with.

Butter Meltaways with Cream Cheese Frosting
By: Paula Deen

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup confectioners sugar

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Separate dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a smooth log. Wrap each log in flour dusted wax paper. Chill dough for at least 6 hours. After six hours, allow dough to sit out for 15 minutes to soften.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets. Slice dough into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.

Frosting:
1 cup confectioner sugar
1 (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 1 drop food coloring

In a medium bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Pipe or dollop a small amount on top of cooled cookies.

***Here are my notes on this recipe. This recipe calls to make 8 dozen cookies. That is why you roll it into logs. I did not do this. I also did not chill my dough. Once it was mixed, I rolled it into 1 inch balls with floured hands and it worked fine. When I roll it out and cut into shapes, then I chill it, but not for 6 hours. Only until it is firm enough to roll.***

9 comments:

Megan said...

These look so tasty. Melt in your mouth delicious. I could eat a dozen with a hot cup of tea right now. A baker's dozen! ;)

Dani said...

i can feel it melting in my mouth already :)

Megan said...

Yum!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look like they'd be great with a hot cup of cocoa...Yum!

Rachael said...

My mother-in-law always made Lemon Meltaways for Christmas....and I realized after reading this post that we have not had them since she passed away 2 years ago. I am going to make them for my family this New Years! Thanks for reminding me and sharing the recipe:-)

Katherine Aucoin said...

April these definitely have my attention! Yum!

Maria said...

The cookies look perfect!

Deborah said...

Easy is definitely what I need these days, and these look delicious!

Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Butter meltaways with Cream Cheese Frosting

I hope that everyone has had a Merry Christmas, and is ready for the New Year. I know that I am. These cookies are the easiest cookies that you will ever make. These are my sister in laws favorite and she asks for these every Christmas. I first made them for Abby's tea party one year and have made them ever since. Just 4 ingredients for the cookie base, things that the bakers should already have as a staple and a quick 10 minutes in the oven and you have it. These cookies are tender and crumbly like a shortbread cookie. I have rolled these into thumbprint cookies as above, and I have rolled them out and cut them into shapes. This dough is that easy to deal with.

Butter Meltaways with Cream Cheese Frosting
By: Paula Deen

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup confectioners sugar

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Separate dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a smooth log. Wrap each log in flour dusted wax paper. Chill dough for at least 6 hours. After six hours, allow dough to sit out for 15 minutes to soften.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets. Slice dough into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.

Frosting:
1 cup confectioner sugar
1 (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 1 drop food coloring

In a medium bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Pipe or dollop a small amount on top of cooled cookies.

***Here are my notes on this recipe. This recipe calls to make 8 dozen cookies. That is why you roll it into logs. I did not do this. I also did not chill my dough. Once it was mixed, I rolled it into 1 inch balls with floured hands and it worked fine. When I roll it out and cut into shapes, then I chill it, but not for 6 hours. Only until it is firm enough to roll.***

9 comments:

Megan said...

These look so tasty. Melt in your mouth delicious. I could eat a dozen with a hot cup of tea right now. A baker's dozen! ;)

Dani said...

i can feel it melting in my mouth already :)

Megan said...

Yum!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look like they'd be great with a hot cup of cocoa...Yum!

Rachael said...

My mother-in-law always made Lemon Meltaways for Christmas....and I realized after reading this post that we have not had them since she passed away 2 years ago. I am going to make them for my family this New Years! Thanks for reminding me and sharing the recipe:-)

Katherine Aucoin said...

April these definitely have my attention! Yum!

Maria said...

The cookies look perfect!

Deborah said...

Easy is definitely what I need these days, and these look delicious!

Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.